ASCA 2011 Annual Conference Recap
The Arizona Senior Center Association held the 2011 Conference on July 18 and 19 at the Apache Gold Resort and Casino near Globe, AZ. Over 40 professionals who work in senior centers, staff of area agencies on aging, and others who care about providing vital services for senior citizens attended the conference.
The theme of the 2011 Conference was “Resilience and Resurgence: Come for R & R”. Speakers on Yoga, Sign Chi Do, and Re-energizing were featured. The conference gave delegates an opportunity to relax and learn valuable information. In addition, a massage therapist was available for chair massages throughout the conference.
ASCA appreciates the presenters at the conference including:
- Sharon Beydler, Relaxing Your Body and Calming Your Mind
- Neil Carlson, Protecting the People You Love-Truth or Fiction
- Christine Tuttle, Arizona State Braille & Talking Book Library
- Manny Padia, Re-energize, Re-charge, and Recreate!
- Julie Strauss, Lower Your Food and Supply Costs
- Dr. Carol Rogers, Sign Chi Do: Exercise Promotes R&R
- Terri Alexon, Top Arizona Investor Traps
- Lora Keller, Setting up a Memory Loss Support Group
- Dr. Melanie Mitros and Cathy Stewart, Improving Health Outcomes of Seniors
- Elton Bordenave, Matter of Balance Outreach
- Betty Vanta, Emergency Preparedness for Older Adults
- Leslie Rudders, Special Events Round table
After Monday’s sessions, ASCA hosted a social consisting of a delicious dinner from a local Mexican restaurant at the Besh Ba Gowah Archeological Park.
General Sessions Provide Great Information
General Session speakers were Delmar Boni and Linda Thompson. Delmar spoke on “Using Humor to Rekindle the Spirit Within”. The interactive workshop was very lively and included laughter, movement, and music. Linda’s presentation was on “Understanding the Generations.” She gave information on the six generations that currently populate the planet and how understanding and accepting each generations’ mode of communication can lead to improved relationships. Both General Sessions were very interesting.
New Officers Elected at Annual Meeting
Drew Lawrence from Wise Owl Senior Center in Wickenburg is the new vice-president and Genevieve Munoz from City of Phoenix Deer Valley Senior Center is the new Treasurer. Five new Board Members were also appointed. The new Board Members are Linda Honanhi, Moenkopi Senior Center; Anita Hinojos, Pinal-Gila Council for Senior Citizens; Margaret Sampson, Casa de Esperanza; Leslie Rudders, Surprise Senior Center; and, Diane Dempsey, Parker Senior Center. Welcome to the board!
Thank You Gold Conference Sponsors!
ASCA wishes to thank the Area Agency on Aging, Region One, Incorporated and the Pinal-Gila Council for Senior Citizens for their generous sponsorship of the conference.
Contact us today
If you have any questions about becoming a member or being a sponsor of the the 2012 ASCA Conference, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Leave a Comment